- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken or turkey (please use leftovers!)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin Greek olive oil, plus more for brushing the phyllo
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint or 3 tablespoons dried
- 1/3 cup dark, seedless raisins
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup grated Greek graviera or other mild sheep’s milk cheese
- 1/2 pack (1/4 lb.) commercial phyllo, at room temperature (10 sheets)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500g (17.6oz) commercial phyllo pastry, defrosted and at room temperature
Heat ¼ cup olive oil in a large, heavy frying pan over medium heat and sauté the onions, stirring constantly until they wilt, approx. 7 minutes. Add the meat to the pan and cook together on low heat for 8 – 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool. Mix in the remaining olive oil, cheese, mint, raisins, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Preheat the oven to 375F /180°C and brush a 13-inch / 35-cm round nonstick baking pan with olive oil. Place the phyllo sheets in front of you. Place 6 sheets, one at a time, on the bottom of the baking dish, brushing each with olive oil as you layer them. Layer them in such a way so that the excess phyllo hangs evenly over the rim of the pan.
Spread the filling over the phyllo. Cover with another 4 sheets, brushing each with olive oil. Bring the top and bottom overhanging phyllo sheets together and roll inwards to form a decorative rim. Score into serving pieces. Pour the lightly beaten egg over the surface and tilt so that it seeps in evenly all over the pie. Bake until golden brown, approx. 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly, and serve. Notes You can prep the pie, score it, cover it very well with plastic wrap and freeze it. Remove from the freezer, pour the egg over it, and bake directly, without defrosting.