- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 ½ cups green cabbage, washed and thinly shredded
- 1 cup peeled and chopped plum tomato
- 2 ¾ cups water
- 1 cup long grain rice
- ½ cup dark seedless raisins
- ½ cup blanched almonds, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt, to taste
In a heavy stewing pot, heat the butter and sauté the onion until soft, 2-3 minutes. Add the cabbage and sauté over medium heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until soft and translucent, 3-5 minutes.
Add tomatoes and water and bring mixture to a gentle boil. Add rice, raisins, almonds, cinnamon, and salt. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed and rice cooked.
Place the mixture into a lightly buttered mold and allow to set for 5-10 minutes, then turn out onto a platter. Or toss gently in serving bowl. Serve warm.